Saturday, October 2, 2010

Type Specimen Book - Conclusions...

I've more or less finished all of the pages for my Type Specimen Book project.










I know they're probably not the most exciting spreads ever, but at least it'll do for getting the project done. Can't go wrong with something simple anyways, even if it's not the best. I felt that since I already "illustrated" the story well enough with the typography alone, extra elaborate imagery was not necessary. I decided to just go with a simple, old-style-movie-screen kind of feeling with a slight touch of color and radial gradients. All of the backgrounds were done in Photoshop CS3 from scratch.

I also did the cover.


While thinking what to do with the background or imagery, I originally thought about adding some black text such that there would be a fading effect. However, once I brushed out the lights and darks, experimented a little bit with color, and shifted the title around a little, I decided nothing else was necessary. The "mysterious" atmosphere is there already. Sometimes it's better to say less than to be absolutely clear I guess.

So that basically concludes the design aspect of the project. This was my first attempt at a project that's very grayscaled in general. I tried elaborate colors and didn't feel like anything was working. I messed around with warm grays and cool grays and whipped out something. It's strange. Maybe it's the sequence of process that I was directed through, or maybe it's just the concept.

1 comment:

  1. looks good, alan.

    some excellent moments.

    i'd rethink the front and back of the book inside pages.

    they seem random compared to the careful selection of background for the cover and book pages.

    also, i suggest narrowing the intro text column a bit.

    nice cover and cover concept.

    good work.

    g.

    ReplyDelete