Thursday, September 30, 2010

Type Specimen Book - Editing the first spread

Taking the teacher's suggestion of trying to use only the Garamond font to redo the first spread of my Type Specimen Book, I managed to get something decent I think.


A lot more unified than the previous version. I figured that "street of shops" wasn't really important, so there was no sense in making it huge. "Mr. Utterson" is the main character here, and the first spread pretty much introduces him, so next I figured might as well make his name the large text instead.

I guess in a sense I did accomplish making this spread using Garamond only, because I could easily just substitute the sans-serif font with Garamond, except I felt the spread looked better with both a serif (Garamond) and a sans-serif font.

Redoing this allowed me to cut out 1 extra typeface, so I'm down to 8 used typefaces now. The goal is to make it 3. Considering how I feel the book might become a little too plain with only 3 though, I'm aiming for 4~5.

No comments:

Post a Comment