Saturday, September 25, 2010

Type Specimen Book - Work in Progress

Just thought I'd post my current progress before preparing dinner. The dimensions of the spreads are 16" x 9", as a reflection of the whole wide-screen trend nowadays. Since this is a story, I thought the dimensions would make sense.




I got 3 spreads done (black & white draft anyways), and I think I know where to go with the last five. Four of the spreads will be just like these, experimenting with using typography to evoke feeling and express the message, with the last of the four spreads being the ending. For the 8th spread, I'm thinking about dividing it into 2 pages, one for the introduction and one for citations and typeface listing and stuff (like the brainstorm I did for the Paradox idea). Introduction will tell the viewer what this Type Specimen Book is, and the last page is like a credits page. Not sure about the cover yet, but I'll worry about that later. I have knowledge in bookbinding, so I have a relatively wide choice for what to do with the cover as well as the actual book.

About the actual binding of the pages, to eliminate the whole gutter issue, I would stick the spreads back-to-back with each other. The back of page 1 would stick to the back of page 2, page 2 is a spread with page 3 and the back of page 3 would be stuck to the back of page 4, and so on. It follows the idea of an accordion except sturdy just like traditional binding. Next, since page 1 is pretty much a single page on its own, I would "make it" a spread by literally making it a spread by adding an endpaper page to the other half, which would then be glued to the real endpaper. Same deal with the last page. I know my description is probably confusing, but I'll post some pictures of a prototype if I manage to get around to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment