Thursday, November 4, 2010

Package Design - Experimenting

Continuing with the logo, I spent a few hours rendering out each necessary Japanese character that I will and/or might end up using. I thought about using the English versions, but somehow the Japanese text intrigued me more, so I went with the Japanese text.

Below is something like a character chart.


The top row are the Kanji for "Daifukumochi". I made two version for the Kanji "Dai" though, since I felt that if I wanted to use the Kanji "mochi" as well, the "Dai" would have to relate more to "mochi" with the thinner and more defined forms. If I don't end up using "mochi", then I suppose the original "Dai" depicted in my sketches would be perfectly fine. I also went ahead to render the text for alternative ways to say "strawberry" and "orange" in Japanese, just in case they might serve the purpose better.

Next, I proceeded to test them out. Since I know people won't be able to read Japanese, I'm pretty sure it would be necessary and a good idea to add some kind of English translation in there. Basically, I was thinking that if people can't read Japanese, they can at least see the roundish text as an image related to Daifuku, and then see the English text as the typography, even though both are typography.



I know the typography is kinda bad at the moment, but these are just experiments seeing how the text work with each other. It seems that if I used the full name "Daifukumochi", the English text would then be very crammed, and I guess the addition of "mochi" just makes everything too text heavy. To keep the simplicity in mind, I think the version without "mochi" is cleaner and easier to view. Now the problem comes with the English text. I think it would be nice if the English "Daifuku" text could be tracked out similarly to the flavors, except there's no space to do so. Therefore, I was thinking of enlarging the Japanese "Daifuku" text, such that there would be more room to track out the English "Daifuku" text. Also it seems that the alternate ways to say "strawberry" and "orange" works better with the tracking. However, the upside of the ones pertaining to my sketches has that consistency of 3 Katakana characters for the flavors. Each unifies the text in different ways.

Anyhow, more testing to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment