Thursday, November 4, 2010

Package Design - Sketches

Between Apps and Package Design, I chose to do the package design assignment simply because I never had or even used an iPhone before, much less the apps themselves. Package design is more of what I'm into and it's kinda everywhere anyways, so I thought I'd do the package design assignment.

For the idea, probably because I recently ate a Daifuku, I decided to do a package related to Daifuku. I'm not sure why exactly I'm so fond of Daifuku though. Maybe I just wanted to do something simple and clean, and Daifuku just happened to be like that (and cute), so my idea is a Daifuku package.

First off, just some sketches relating to the project. I probably would've done a little more if I wasn't already 90% sure where I wanted this to go.


I started out with some logo sketches. I wanted the typography to relate to the product itself, which is something round, organic, fun, and hopefully sweet as well. If I can't depict "sweetness" in the typography, then at least I want to depict "pleasant". Above are four ideas. The first one is just something similar to bubble type, the second one has the letter D incorporated into an image of a Daifuku as part of the logo, the third one is something more like ordinary type except still keeping the whole roundness in mind, and the last one is just an image (probably a color pencil sketch or a photograph) with some simple type (not my own handwriting of course) to go along with it.

Then I thought... since Daifuku is really a Japanese product, and did two sketches for Japanese text.


The first one is Daifuku written in Kanji, which are characters typically borrowed from the Chinese language. However, I tried to simplify the shape of the Kanji as much as possible but still keeping it recognizable, and of course making it as round as possible as well. The bottom one is Daifuku written in Hiragana, which are characters from the original Japanese alphabet. Again, the idea was the same.

I also did some sketches with the flavors.


These are written in Katakana, which is the other Japanese alphabet that is typically used for words borrowed from other languages or just simply sounds. Occasionally it's also interchangeable with Hiragana. In this case, although "ichigo" and "mikan" are typically written in Hiragana, I chose to write them in Katakana because melon is typically written in Katakana. There's also the thing that the form of Katakana characters are more simple than Hiragana characters, making Katakana easier to simplify.

(btw, I wrote the Katakana for "n" incorrectly. It's missing one short stroke. As it is now, it's actually the Katakana "no". Didn't realize it until now... I haven't been practicing my Japanese enough apparently.)

And finally, some sketches on the actual possible packages.


The most unique one and the one was considering all along is the top right one. The others are kinda there just to see if there are any alternatives with the more common packaging, or just in case a simple package would turn out to be a better solution. After the discussion in class though, it seems like the top right one is indeed the way to go. Besides the fact that it's more unusual, it also relates to the shape of a Daifuku better. The handle is also nice. Obviously it's not my original idea though. I just found this image while doing a Google image search, and thought it was "the solution" for the general package shape/structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment